Why did the mushroom go to the party?

My 4 year old son told his first joke yesterday!!!!!

Sitting in the back of the car on our way from school, my little boy said “Mummy, why did the mushroom go to the party?“. I smiled and looked at him in my rear view mirror, his face was beaming, his shoulders lifted almost to his ears, his hands covering his tiny mouth as he tried to contain himself, as he waited for me to reply. “I don’t know, why did the mushroom go to the party?” I replied. I had barely finished and he almost exploded, as he started laughing and shouted “Because he was a fun guy!!!!!! Do you get it Mummy – a fun guy!!!”. It was the funniest thing that I had heard in a long time and we laughed so much, all the way home, as he kept repeating ” do you get it Mummy, a fun guy!

Now you may be thinking that I can’t have heard many jokes in my life if I found this one that funny. What I need to point out is that, I know for a fact that, my little boy doesn’t know what a “fungi” is!  And it didn’t matter. The delivery of his joke was  superb.

We know that the words we speak, count for around only 7% of our communication effectiveness and the remaining 93% is through are body language and voice quality and he got those spot on!  As they say “it’s the way you tell them”.

Posted on June 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

No Comments